Vallum Art Prize Guidelines
DEADLINE: January 15, 2023
The winner of the Vallum Art Prize (previously known as the Vallum Cover Award) receives $500 and publication in our Spring 2023 issue, Vallum 20:1 “Dreams vs. Nightmares.”
Where do dreams come from? Do nightmares stem from the same root source? What can be considered a dream or a nightmare? How do they figure in our lives, and how do we write about them poetically? Whether psychic or psychological, send us poems that speak to the theme of dreams & nightmares!
Outstanding art and photography have been published in Vallum. Some notable contributors have been Matt Crump, Jason deCaires Taylor, Pony, Andrew Waits, Eric Pickersgill, Maia Flore, Vivian Maier, and more. The winner of the inaugural Vallum Cover Award was Antoine Janot, whose work can be found in issue 18:1 “Invisibility.” The 2022 Vallum Cover Award winner was Nora Kelly for her work “Entangled,” which appears in issue 19:1 “Bridges.”
VALLUM ART PRIZE RULES:
- The entry fee allows submissions of 5-10 images in a series. Do not label your entry with your name or address; instead include a cover letter with all pertinent information, as well as an artist’s statement to accompany your submission (350 words max).
- We accept artwork in both colour or black and white, and ideally should refer in some way to the theme of “Dreams vs. Nightmares.” All artwork must be original and not previously published.
- The winning artist will receive publication as part of Vallum 20:1 “Dreams vs. Nightmares” and a $500 prize, plus promotion via social media and website. We will choose one image for the cover and between 4-8 images for the interior. Please note: The cover will be printed in colour and the interior will be printed in black and white.
- Entries will be judged by the in-house layout designer at Vallum along with editors and staff. All decisions are final. Vallum reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to stated contest rules.
- By entering the contest, entrants agree that if their submission wins, the submitted artwork can be used by Vallum for promoting the issue in which they appear and by Vallum magazine generally.
- Please make sure that your images are submitted as JPG, TIFF, or PNG files (if your work is chosen, we’ll ask you to send high-resolution at that time). Note: Maximum file upload size is 400MB. Maximum size of complete submission is 800MB.
We’re excited to see your work!
Winner receives $500 + PUBLICATION IN VALLUM 20:1 “Dreams vs. Nightmares”
$25 for Canadian entrants, $30 for U.S. and international entrants. Payments are processed through our Submittable account. Each entry fee includes a free one-year subscription to Vallum!
Vallum offers fee waivers to those for whom the entry fee presents a barrier. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
We do not accept submissions through the mail.
To see our catalogue, visit our issue archives.
If you have any questions about the submission process, please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com.
The editors at Vallum strongly encourage Indigenous artists, artists of colour, gender non-conforming artists, differently abled artists, LGBTQI2S+ artists, artists with mental or physical illnesses, and artists who are otherwise affected by structural inequality to submit their work for consideration. Under no circumstances does Vallum tolerate bigoted, violent or abusive content.