Vallum Society for Education in Arts & Letters (VSEAL) is a registered Canadian charity that publishes a biannual poetry magazine, chapbooks, and administrates the Poetry for Our Future! outreach program, which provides literacy workshops to underserved communities in Montreal.
VSEAL is offering one person the contract position of Editorial Assistant for 30 hours per week for 12 weeks at the rate of $16/hr. This person will do a hybrid of in-person and remote work to aid in the general daily operations of the office, publicity of VSEAL’s publishing and outreach programming, production of VSEAL’s publishing projects, coordination of in-person events and launches, and the facilitation of the Poetry for Our Future! outreach program. (Please make sure you’re eligible for the position. Eligibility criteria can be found at the bottom of this posting.)
Start date: June 13th, 2022
End date: September 2nd, 2022
Deadline to apply: May 20th, 2022 (midnight)
Office Assistant tasks may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Assist in the operation of all aspects of both VSEAL’s publishing projects and the outreach program
- Correspond with contributors to Vallum: Contemporary Poetry magazine and the Vallum Chapbook Series
- Liaise with facilitators and host organizations for the outreach program, including women’s shelters, shelters for the homeless, shelters for Indigenous peoples, after-school and summer programs for low-income families, literary festivals, and organizations that support LGBTQ2IA+ youth
- Oversee scheduling and workshop logistics to ensure efficient workshop delivery as well as smooth correspondence between facilitators, host organizations, and participants
- Distribute and evaluate assessment questionnaires for hosts, facilitators, and participants
- Compile and interpret data from questionnaires
- With the Managing Editor, develop a short-term visioning plan for the outreach program, including the development of a call for facilitators and partners
- Conduct interviews with potential facilitators and partners
- Prepare and submit funding applications from existing templates
- Update donor database
- Assist with processing submissions, subscriptions, and mail out
- Set up ad exchanges with other Canadian literary magazines
- Table for Vallum at events
- Coordinate with event spaces and authors to set up launches
- Manage social media content for the Vallum Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Prepare email marketing campaigns using MailChimp
- Update website when necessary (WordPress)
Knowledge of software such as Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Drive, Canva, and WordPress would be an asset, but is not required. A laptop will be provided for the duration of the position.
NOTE ON ELIGIBILITY: Candidates must be between 15-30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment; be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; is legally entitled to work according to the provincial/territorial legislation and regulations. Candidates do not need to be students.
In line with Employment and Social Development Canada’s national priority initiative, we are particularly interested in applications from:
- Youth who are early leavers of high school, not in employment, education or training
- Black and other racialized youth
- Youth with disabilities
- Indigenous youth
For candidates who have applied before, please feel free to apply again.
VSEAL is committed to diversity and equity in employment. It welcomes applications from: women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who are affected by structural inequalities. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a one- to two-page cover letter, brief resume, and one professional writing sample (i.e. grant, review, article, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have a professional writing sample, please send your application without it; this will not affect your candidacy. The deadline to apply is May 20th, 2022 at midnight.
We will contact candidates for interviews after May 20th, 2022. Interviews will be held over Zoom if possible, and in person if the candidate requires it.